James Sparenberg wrote on Sun, Aug 25, 2002 at 10:52:03PM -0700 :

> The video is via an Intel i815 chipset onboard video from an ASUS TUSL2
> motherboard. In BIOS Video Ram is set to 6554k as is recognized by SuSe
> and RedHat.  What gives.  If I manually adjust XF86Config-4 in either
> Mandrake distro to the correct number ... X will not start.  It simply
> respawns until the system decides to stop it. The only error message is
> that X is respawning too fast.  When I set it back ... It works just
> fine.  The result is that under Mandrake I can only get 16 bit color and
> 3d acceleration bites. In RH and SuSe it sings and 32bit color at 1280 x
> 1084 is fine. I've tried installing and telling it mem=448M (512 - 64)
> but it still insists I have only the smaller amount. Any thoughts?

vi /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 and tell it that it has 64Meg.

Glad to see that you have an identifiable problem.  :)  BTW, nice to
meet you at LW!

Blue skies...                   Todd
--
  Todd Lyons -- MandrakeSoft, Inc.   http://www.mandrakesoft.com/
UNIX was not designed to stop you from doing stupid things, because