On Sunday 25 August 2002 08:07, Mark Weaver wrote:
> Phil wrote:
> > Hello all,
> >
> > I realise that this question is a bit vague but someone may be able to
> > help anyway.
> >
> > I used Netscape 4 point something to do my Internet banking and tried to
> > install Netscape 6 with disastrous consequences. I had to reinstall MDK
> > 8.2.
> >
> > Mozilla connects to the bank's site and open the Java applet which reads
> > " connecting .. please wait". The problem is that it never connects.
> > Konqueror doesn't even get as far as the applet.
> >
> > Does anyone have any suggestions on how I might proceed?
>
> yes...run the browser, Mozilla 1.0, cause the later version suck at
> this, and navigate to a page that you know for certain will require a
> java applet to be loaded. You'll be presented with a little plugin
> alert. since you're running as root you'll be able to download and
> install the java plugins. Do so. Then restart Mozilla as a normal user
> and you should be able to do all you need to do normally.
>
> Mark

to use Applets in Konqueror you need the Java Runtime in your PATH variable
(test by using >java -version< in the shell) then in
Konqueror>Settings>Configure Konqueror>Konqueror Browser>Java make sure you
have 'enable java globally' enabled and the 'path to java executable' is set
to java.
I have no problems at all with konqueror and Applets but lots of problems
with java in Mozilla and Opera, it just opens a new windows instead of
displaying the applet on the website.

Try what Mark suggests, since it seems easiest. If this doesn't work download
the jre from sun and link
/usr/lib/jre-1.3.1_02/plugin/i386/ns600/libjavaplugin_oji.so to
/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins (this works for me)

Patrik