On Saturday 07 September 2002 02:18 am, Colin Jenkins scribbled in crayon on a
yellow legal pad:
> Hello Alastair,
>
> Saturday, September 07, 2002, 6:42:50 AM, you wrote:
>

> AS> Considering DOS, I began with 5.25" floppy disks on IBM ATs, which were
> AS> built like tanks - green screens, enormously thick case metal and the
>

> my first was a kit (microbee z80 processor, 16k ram) upgraded to 64k
> to run msdos. used a cassette recorder for storage. think the first
> floppys I saw were 8"

Ah, more memories.

My first IBM-PC has 256k of memory (Sales guy: "You can install 640k, but no
one will ever need that much!"). Two full height 5.25" drives and a Davong
10MB hard drive (with an external p/s the size of a shoebox). The hard drive
was partitioned to use DSS/F, a goal-seeking spreadsheet (Visi-calc was the
reigning spreadsheet app at the time). The DSS/F was written in "F-code" (it
was Pascal, IIRC) and the spreadsheet had to be compiled before each run. Fun
stuff.

--
Hoyt
http://www.maximumhoyt.com