Hi again,

After some more research, I'm quite sure this line in
/etc/init.d/network is what's causing the problem:

# Run this again to catch any interface-specific actions
        sysctl -e -p /etc/sysctl.conf >/dev/null 2>&1

because in /etc/sysctl.conf, ip_forward is set to 0

Now the question remains: what's the point in "enabling ipv4 forwarding"
if the default sysctl.conf will reset it to 0 again? (I haven't modified
sysctl.conf since install)

Thanks

Hans