On Sat, 2002-09-28 at 16:58, Ralph F De Witt wrote:

> Hi:
> I am contemplating building a new system. The two motherboards that I am
> looking at are, one a MSI  KT3 Ultra2 w/o raid, lan, and video, and two a MSI
> KT4 Ultra w/o raid, lan, and video. This will be my primary workstation. I am
> wondering will these boards will work with Mandrake 9.0 and how well the
> built in audio works on both. And your preferences.
> - --
>       Yours,
>       Ralph.

I can see right off that you've been doing your homework.  Not bad.
There are some concerns with the newer DDR400 based mobos, though.  This
is evident by looking at the following:

http://www17.tomshardware.com/mainboard/02q3/020905/kt400-11.html#opengl_benchmarks

And the Directx benchmarks as well.  The conclusion of this article is
interesting:

http://www17.tomshardware.com/mainboard/02q3/020905/kt400-16.html

But not truly "conclusive".  Because if later day bios upgrades are able
to fix the memory standards that as of right now have not been
finalized, then the KT4 Ultra may well be the best choice for the
future.  As you can see right now the KT333's are showing faster
benches.  A bios upgrade may well fix that, however.

Regarding the KT3 Ultra, this pick is perhaps a little confusing.  If
you are considering a mobo with KT333 architecture, there are many more
superior choices available.  Here are the benchmarks for a roundup of 18
mobos that includes the KT3 Ultra:

http://www17.tomshardware.com/mainboard/02q2/020509/kt333-29.html

This in fact was the roundup that I was using to choose my next mobo.
As of now tho, the memory architecture has moved onward and I will
probably wait for Abit to release a KT400 mobo.  The advantage with this
set of mobos is that they have been out for awhile and they are better
known personalitywise.  It is very unlikely that you will see any
problems with the top performers in this list.  Speaking of performance,
the KT3 Ultra is in the bottom half of both the opengl and directx
benchmarks. Dis is not good.

When I was planning on getting one of these, I was looking at three:

1) Epox EP-8K3A+ -- Pros:  Top performer, solid brand, reputation for
dependability

Cons:  Unsure of overclocking virtues compared to Abit AT7

2) Enmic 8TTX2+  -- Pros:  German manufacturer, looked solid, top
performer; real fast and stable

Cons:  New company, no history, unsure of overclocking virtues compared
to AT7

3)   Abit AT7  -- Pros:  I have extensive prior experience with this
brand and know the overclocking and stability virtues of this brand, the
quality has never let me down.

Cons:  Not a top performer (unless overclocked !) hehe

In which case it can theoretically exceed the default performance of any
of the 18.  Depending on CPU limitations.

Let me smash a few myths right off the bat. 1) An overclocking mobo is
typically superior stability (and quality) wise to a mobo that is
typified as a "server board", AKA Tyan mobos.  The overclockers HAVE to
be more stable in worse situations than the much overpriced and
underperforming "server boards". Anything marketed as a server board is
probably going to be a money pipeline waiting for you to give your
frogskins away to the manufacturer.  Synopsis:  The overclockers are
better server boards than the server boards.

2) Since they are marketed to hardware hacker types, they are more
loaded with features than other boards.  Also, just because you buy an
overclocker board doesn't mean that it's going to overclock the cpu.
You have to TELL it to do that; otherwise it operates the CPU at the
design spec for the CPU.  In that case it theoretically is more rock
solid than the other types.

3).  The reason I cite directx and opengl benches is simply because
there is no better stress test for the entire mobo and it's subsystems
as a team than these tests.  They stress the graphics, memory, and all
other subsystems better than any business apps ever would in a million
years.  The business benches are more or less like tits on a boar hog.
But, if you are still curious you can follow the other URL's on Dr Tom's
site to the business benches.

OK.  Darn this thing has gotten long...

HTH,

LX

P.S.  I probably would have bought the Enmic.  And..I was unsure of what
level of information to give, so I used the shotgun.

--
Kernel  2.4.18-6mdk     Mandrake Linux  8.2