On Sun, 2002-09-29 at 11:22, tarvid wrote:
> Much wisdom in the reponse but...
>
> 1) Stability is an issue but most of my problems show up in the disk
> subsystem. I have had some nasty crashes which went away when I replaced the
> drives.

The only time I have noticed this phenomenon is when some drives were
mishandled, without proper static protection.  And there were crashes.

I have seen DOA's, but they've been rare.

> 2) Performance is an issue but I suspect that too is in the disk subsystem.
> Processing HTTP logs is the biggest single burder on my servers. That
> generates tons of stuff few people read, so I think changing content of log
> analysis will take care of that one. Mail is a close second but that one is
> solved by judicious non-use of synced log files.

Raid 0+1 would seem a good approach for this.

> 3) When I rebuild a server, newer technology is better than older and larger
> aggregates of RAM are better than smaller. The latter is probably the more
> important of the two so I would rather use single 512MB PC2100 than two 256MB
> faster SDRAMs.

I agree with the SDRAM sentiment, but I do not agree that newer is
always better.  It always takes the linux driver contributors time to
catch up to the latest chipsets.  The HPT373 Raid chipset is a prime
example of this.  A concern because my next system board will have one;
and I'd like to be running a distro that can use that IDE bus.

So staying behind the front lines with a mobo that's going to run Linux
is offtimes a smart move.  It gives the manufacturers time to work the
lemons out of the boards and the developers time to write the hardware
support in.

> 4) Workstations are a different matter. I am content with much less than a
> game player but I do have an urge for decent multimedia - DVD , 6 channel
> sound, fast ripping. The most notable performance issue is fast program

If you are doing mp3 or video encoding then you need FPU speed; and the
"game" benches are once again the way to go.

> So much of Tom's hardware doesn't speak to me. I'd like to avoid spending a
> lot of time on both hardware compatibility and software installation issues,
> I have lots of things to do.

Well, I don't think the speaking is the problem, it's the listening part
that is.  I've been using this site as a resource for a long time,
because there is a need to evaluate mobos from the standpoints that I've
given URL's for.  The secret is that by the time these mobos pass their
tests and give their performance results, you can be pretty sure that
you've got a mobo that will work, especially if there are other mobos
out there with the same chipset that are running Linux.

Red Hat in the past has said that there are very few mobos that don't
run their distro (the only one I've seen that they listed as problematic
was a Supermicro), and that holds true for Mandrake, as long as you are
choosy about where you get your information from.  Roundup reviews are
the best reviews that exist for mobos.  A single mobo review that does
not allow a system board to compete with other boards is *useless*.
(Unless you originally located the mobo with a roundup.) True mobo
evaluation does not occur in a vacuum, it occurs within the context of
competition; and that means other system boards. Roundup reviews are
*expensive* to conduct.  Therefore they are rare.  So when you do find
one, like this eighteen motherboard review, it's worth your while to sit
up and pay attention.

The reason I do is because as the guy in charge of a computer
fabrication line, it was my task to order 20 or more mobos for
evaluation at a time (plus R&D them) before the prototyping and launch
of a new model.  There was no internet, there were no mobo reviews, and
the trade rags were for locating and ordering, not judging.  So we did
it the hard way; and it cost big bucks, and big time.  Basically I was
doing roundup reviews at the time and did'nt realize it.

Now we have the internet and the advantage of performance and stability
reviews.  To me, THD is like a free ride.  So yes, I'm damn sure going
to take advantage of them; and if I'm somewhat skittish for any reason,
I'll fire up google and see if anybody's had direct linux experience
with the board.  Not hard to do. So far I have not needed to because
there are very few linux incompatible boards out there and almost none
of them make it to the THD roundup reviews.  If anybody's inclined, they
can certainly do a double check on the web.  If another quality board
with the same chipset as the one you are considering is running Linux,
then that puts you in the middle of the ball park anyway.  Which is the
case with just about the entire review here. I also went thru a real
bunch of sites before I took THD serious, so it's not like I haven't
been looking around.

> Unfortunately, what we see are reports of people having problems and others
> speculating on the latest whiz bang technology. It would be much more useful
> if someone maintained a database of "this worked for me".
>
> Jim Tarvid

Back in "the day", there were many standards in the motherboard world
that were yet to be set.  As a result, back then we had more
compatibility problems than we do now.  Even back then, Linux worked
better on that less-than-standard hardware than winblows did.  And there
were no mobo "compatibility lists."  I depend alot on what users are
saying about what they are using, and I don't put stock in the cpu
manufacturer's "compatibility lists" either.  In that there is too much
chance for self-aggrandizement or political manuvering.

These days, things are a little better ordered than they were. Not
saying that there's no problems.  But as I've stated previously, by
starting with a roundup review, you are automatically using a filter
wether you know it or not; a board that doesn't work will not get a)
into the roundup or b) a good review.  Pros and cons are listed plainly
in the review. Again, if you find a well made board that has run the
gauntlet of a large set of performance (and other) tests, and is also at
the top of the performance food chain, then you've got a winner.

When I was sysadmin for a web company, we had a ragtag set of machines
in the building with completely various system boards.  The entire
server room had the look of somebody that had been playing hardware
russian roulette.  With zero analysis, without exception, Linux worked
on every one of those machines.  Here, I have an Abit KT7A Raid mobo
that I ordered using the Dr Tom site.  Everything worked perfectly.  I
also have a Tyan S2390A with a Via KT133 chipset; that one worked.  I
did not look at any list at all before I got that board, cause it was
given to me.  Yet still it worked. There are more examples; but...

The truth is that if you have a quality mobo that has a chipset that is
working with Mandrake on other systems (as is the case with the KT333
chipsets) and it has been reviewed as being solid under test, then
you've got a good investment.  You are correct in saying that the disk
subsystem is most often the source of the problems; and that is exactly
the subsystem that needs to be under scrutiny.  The newer boards are
more likely to have compatibility problems with the linux drivers; most
pointedly with the IDE Raid buses. But not for too long.

L8r,

LX

--
Kernel  2.4.18-6mdk     Mandrake Linux  8.2