On Sunday 29 September 2002 09:41 pm, Vox wrote:
> "Craig Williamson (ENZ)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> > Hi All,
> >
> >         I'm building a PC around Mandrake9.0's hardware
> > requirements.  But the only thing I am having trouble with is the
> > Modem.  I'm looking for a reliable internal PCI based 56k hardware
> > modem.  Can you recommend any.
>
>   None. Internal PCI modems suck. Get an external one. USRobotics
>   external is a good choice.
>
>   Vox
Gee. modems suck. Hang some antennas and share a decent connection.

The actiontec "call waiting" modems have Lucent chipsets and a real hardware
engine. With 8.2 you needed a makedev/setserial script to get them going. I
will try 9.0 in a couple of days.

The one "topic" I tried was "ok". If I spent some more time with it, I might
have even gotten to like it.

Vox is right in that externals are the easiest to use, If you are doing a lot
of interactive stuff, the connect times on a v.34 are quicker than v.90 or
v.92. If you are doing a lot of downloads, try to find a better connection.
Even ISDN is a delight compared to analog.

I'd be interested in your results. I am on a crusade to learn what works for
regular people as opposed to the technical issues between "x" and "y"
chipsets and motherboard features.

Jim Tarvid

I have had good luck with Lucent win-modems for about a year.

Jim Tarvid