On Wednesday 09 October 2002 01:16 am, you wrote:
> On 8 Oct 2002 at 14:00, David Guntner wrote:
> > I found out from someone else that apparently you now need to have a copy
> > of your hosts and resolv.conf files in /var/spool/postfix/etc for some
> > reason.
>
> The default installation now appears to be chrooted and you need to
> check the configuration setup for a chroot environment rather than a
> standard setup.I don't think postfix can see anything in /etc so
> everything Postfix needs has to duplicated in /var/spool/postfix/etc. More
> secure but more setup needed.
>
> Ray Warren

Sorry to butt in on this thread, but was that true for 8.2 as well? I'm still
using it, and can't get things going either. Well, maybe sort of. <grin> I'm
trying to get to where I can send mail between the comps on my LAN. I can
send mail to myself ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) but I can't send it to my sons
comp ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) without getting a hostname/username error.
Whats odd is that (in spite) I sent an e-mail to a friend on the Internet and
it got through, although he said he couldn't reply (bounce).

Note that K-mail/pop3 thru my ISP works fine - I just wanted to be able to
exchange mail with my son on his comp. We use NFS here, and file exchange
works great, as well as games. We can ping each other by name or ip address.

Hmm, also talk does not work either... I'm guessing I don't have DNS setup
correctly. I read the DNS howto...got a headache. :-)

--
                                                                          /\
                                                                  Dark< >Lord