I have an atapi 250mb ZIP drive and I had the exact same difficulties.
It seems to recognise it if I look in dmesg but no matter what I tried
(and I asked around a lot too) the only thing that worked for me was
changing the line 'devfs=mount' to 'devfs=nomount' in lilo.conf. Now I
can use the drive without any hassles at all.
I have absolutely no idea what problems may be caused by doing this but
the only symptom I have seen is that my scanner icon doesnt appear
automagically on the desktop when I switch it on.

Colin Rose

If this is a bad idea someone is sure to pipe in and let us both know

HTH