I am scanning here and there; here is what I found in /proc :

[root@rubedo root]# cat /proc/ide/ide1/hdc/media
floppy
[root@rubedo root]# cat /proc/ide/ide1/hdc/model
IOMEGA ZIP 100 ATAPI
[root@rubedo root]# cat /proc/ide/ide1/hdc/settings
name                    value           min             max             mode
----                    -----           ---             ---             ----
current_speed           0               0               69              rw
ide_scsi                0               0               1               rw
init_speed              0               0               69              rw
io_32bit                0               0               3               rw
keepsettings            0               0               1               rw
nice1                   0               0               1               rw
number                  2               0               3               rw
pio_mode                write-only      0               255             w
slow                    0               0               1               rw
unmaskirq               0               0               1               rw
using_dma               0               0               1               rw

so the kernel does some % of its job. I display this in the list in the hope
that someone will have an idea

Continuing ...

--
Robert Grasso