> Ahh....read the rest of the original email Vox, and you will see the
> above dhcpd.conf segment at the bottom.  This was basically a view into
> *both* the dhcp.lease and dhcpd.conf files.

>         host crysalis {
>           next-server crysalis.the-vox.com;
>           hardware ethernet 00:90:27:71:77:3C;
>           fixed-address 192.168.1.1;
>         }               ^^^^^^^^^^^
>
>   That gives crysalis (my box) 192.168.1.1 as its IP every time.

> host fantasia {
>   hardware ethernet 08:00:07:26:c0:a5;
>   fixed-address fantasia.fugue.com;
> }               ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Should read like Mr. Vox's setup (with correct IP assignment)

But still it tried to equate a fixed address with a fqdn and not a IP
address. ooooh soooo Close... but no Cigar ;-).

BTW on a small network that won't stress the number of IPs allocated the
DHCP server usually re-assigns the old address (not guaranteed though).

For ease of administration dhcp is good for a ton of computers or for
computers you don't have access to often (or mobile computers). If you
have less than 5 computers on the net I would just assign them
statically. But its your system & you know it best........

.kiran