I swear by the linksys BEFSR41.  FYI a router should be not be platform dependent at all.  Anyway it's a great router.  You access it through any web browser.  It also handles pppoe if your dsl provider requires it.
So i'd say, keep your existing adsl modem and get the router as an addon.  It also makes home networking a breeze.
You're right on in one respect:  ADSL is being used from the dsl modem to the DSLAM (at the provider's access point; usually a local telephone switch facility) From the modem to you should be ethernet TCP/IP.  In other words, DSL is transparent to your computer.  It's merely the medium over which your TCP/IP packets are being sent.  Your modem is assinged an IP for your default gateway.  If you purchase a router like the one I mentioned, it will set itself up to the modem's default gateway IP and therefore becomes the new gateway for your network.  It's set up for dhcp by default which makes networking your machines a snap.  You can also specify static IP, though it's not necessary.  Another nice thing is that it's also a 4 port switch, which allows you to share your internet connection with up to 4 computers and up to 255 if you break it out to more switches or hubs (a whole subnet) The beauty of the switch is that you'll be able to do full duplex connections between 2 PCs on your home network (200mbps) In addition,  the router gives you a class C  subnet structure (192.168.XXX.XXX)  which makes it virtually inaccessable from outside your subnet (unless you forward a port or set a machine as DMZ host) It's almost a perfect firewall.  so you don't have to worry about firewalling software (unless you want to protect your machine from others in your own network)

Hope this helps.   I know it's a little basic.

Todd