eww usb modems, hadn't realized that before i spouted.  Is this modem USB only?  or do you have an ethernet option?  FYI, Mandrake 9's biggest troubles seem to be with anything USB.

Todd

J. Grant wrote:
I bought a PCI USB card (get one thats compatible) for £12, installed it, uploaded the mgmt.o firmware, and it connected, now i can administer it over http and it just sits with no monitor doing its stuff :) installs on small HD's fine and as its free software they let you download it.

JG

Azrael wrote:
Really? I can't even get Mandrake 9.0 to recognise my speed touch, how does smoothwall recognise it?

BTW.. by old pc .. I assume you mean a PC that has USB. The only old PC's I have are a 486 (no usb) and a sparc station IPC (no usb).

Really, rather than buy a router, I'd just like the speed touch to work (be recognised at first) by mandrake 9. But nothing seems to help me :(

J. Grant wrote:

Installing smoothwall.org on an old pc works great with alcatel speedtouch and other adsl modems. Its only a 22MB ISO too

JG