Mr Klar, I personally solved my problem - it has been difficult, and for a
stupid reason : I simply did not know LiLo enough, and did not run /sbin/lilo
after setting "devfs=nomount" in /etc/lilo.conf : why ? Because I have been
using Grub for years, and when you change Grub's configuration, you edit
/boot/grub/menu.lst, that's all !
Mandrake 9.0 is shipped with LiLo by default, I tried to change to Grub, as I
wanted to remove the boot GUI in order to have a clean text screen; with
DrakConf it does not seem possible, LiLo or Grub bring to the same graphic
window, so I kept LiLo, never mind.
I can say also that I edit my configuration files by hand, not using DrakConf
- because I am an old Unix user/admin, and I still remember when Linux GUIs
where not so stable. And also, I dislike GUIs, generally ! But DrakConf is
aware of the need of running LiLo after changing the configuration.

So when I tried to disable devfs, I did everything as I used to do in Mandrake
8.2 with Grub : I set "devfs=nomount" in the bootloader configuration file
(unfortunately, it was this time /etc/lilo.conf) and removed S99devfsd from
/etc/rc5.d. And I did NOT run /sbin/lilo.

But I used lilo years ago, maybe with an early Slackware, and I learned it a
litlle. Also, I searched a little bit more with Google, because of that hdc4
(my previous post), it looked like I did not disable devfs ! and I finally
remembered that you HAVE to run /sbin/lilo each time you change its
configuration file !!!

It is a nasty trap, maybe I should write to the LiLo maintainers, they could
write in a default /etc/lilo.conf that you have to run /sbin/lilo in order to
register the changes.

The conclusion is that devfs is not stable yet.

--
Robert Grasso
@home