Hi all,

I'm experiencing a weird problem with PHP pages on a stock Mandrake 8.2
server with all security patches applied. Here is an excerpt from my
error_log:

[Thu Oct 17 18:55:06 2002] [notice] child pid 20725 exit signal Segmentation fault (11)
[Thu Oct 17 18:55:09 2002] [notice] child pid 20840 exit signal Segmentation fault (11)
[Thu Oct 17 18:56:00 2002] [notice] child pid 20936 exit signal Segmentation fault (11)
[Thu Oct 17 18:56:01 2002] [notice] child pid 20761 exit signal Segmentation fault (11)
[Thu Oct 17 18:56:44 2002] [notice] child pid 20865 exit signal Segmentation fault (11)
[Thu Oct 17 18:57:13 2002] [notice] child pid 20930 exit signal Segmentation fault (11)

The segfault occurs in the late stage of the request and sometimes, the
body of the request is truncated (clients only see the upper part of a page).
Also, this server is running mod_gzip and the crashes leaves tons of
temporary files. By examining these files, I noticed that their content
is truncated too.

The whole story only happens with PHP pages, not with static content (HTML, GIF,
etc.). Removing mod_gzip and mod_ssl doesn't solve the problem.

I also examined my home machine, used for PHP development and a less busy server
(both running Mandrake 8.2 with security patches and without mod_gzip/mod_ssl)
and found the same problem. Obviously, my home machine only has a few segfaults,
but the problem do exists on three different machines.

I did some googling and searched various mailing lists but didn't found a
real solution or explanation. The only interesting reading is from
Nick Lindridge, developer of PHP Accelerator.

> No, PHP 4.1.2 is unstable period - i.e. it's unstable without PHPA as well
> :-) Just as 4.0.6 is/was. Ho hum.

Guess what version of PHP ships with Mandrake 8.2?  :-(
Complete mail is at: http://www.freelists.org/archives/phpa/04-2002/msg00022.html

Anybody experiencing the same problem?

Thanks is advance for any comment/feedback/help.

Gianluca