hi Toshiro,

have tried out now a lot of possibilities like portmap:ALL in
hosts.deny, hosts.allo and vice versa on two hosts of my LAN,
the result is :
entry in rh8-box -> hosts.deny : portmap:ALL -> restart with service nfs
restart - the connected host does NOT have any succes on any exported
filesystem - for shure.

doing the same on mdk - the same - also for shure.

now making that entry in hosts.allow - first in rh8 - all exported
filesystems are available on mdk (for shure restart nfs, and I'm
assuming thart this step I'll always do)

doing the same on mdk :
filesystems on hd's are available on rh8 but NOT CDROM

now I was looking for the entries in /dev/hdc and /dev/hda, /dev/hdb and
here I have :
lr-xr-xr-x
so as you can see, I have the same basics for all relevant drives like
hd and CDROM.

in the README's of hosts.allow and hosts.deny  I found the hint, that an
"empty" entry complies with an entry portmap:ALL

and the results was exatly the same :
there is no different on portmap:ALL in hosts.allow or an empty entry.

In hosts.deny the effect is for shure : no portmaps are allowed.

but why do I have a share on hd and NOT on CDROM from my mdk-box ?
but an acces from rh8-box is available with exactly the same fundamentle
basics on both hosts.
So it seems, that any different assumptions or dependencies must be
there. but where and which differents - which possibilities do I have
now - except the steps I have described above ?

any ideas ?
thanks again and bye hans