On Fri, 1 Nov 2002, Praedor Tempus wrote:

> On Thursday 31 October 2002 07:49 pm, ET wrote:
>> On Thursday 31 October 2002 07:32 pm, Toshiro wrote:
>>> Anybody knows why Mandrake is no longer providing this package?
>
> Does that include its parts such as pico?  It would be nice for pico to be
> included by itself if possible as it is one of the easiest to use text-based
> editors there is.  Vi and emacs are monstrosities that require a great deal
> of cryptic command string memorization while pico is all right there.  I
> depend upon it to fix things from the CLI when things with the GUI go down
> the tubes.

  I like mc, which one respondent suggested as a replacement, as a file
browser and often edit with it, but most of the time I prefer to use pico:
<http://www.zoreil.com/mirrors/www.plf.org/9.0/i586/> will have the pine
package.  However, I'm considering nano myself, which I understand is an
enhanced, standalone clone of pico.  I read a very nice review of it in the
latest issue of Linux Format, although the reviewer inexplicably referred
to it as a vi clone, which it definitely isn't.  I just downloaded it from
<http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/nano/>.  You might want to give it a try.

Dale Huckeby

ps. The manual is at <http://www.gnu.org/manual/nano/text/nano.txt> or at
<http://www.gnu.org/manual/nano/html_mono/nano.html>