yup,,, that little box cops a hammering... but even on my hardly loaded
XP1800 box, it still takes a second or two..
I thought that the client browser was responsible for actually following
meta redirects anyway.. which would mean the server had little to do with
the speed of a meta redirect???

the the meta tag its just slow enough to notice that it has opened
index.html and redirected...

Here is how I solved the problem..

I added this to the bottom of /etc/httpd/conf/vhosts/Vhosts.conf

<VirtualHost 203.xxx.xxx.xxx>
ServerName sub.domain.com
DocumentRoot /var/www/html
Redirect permanent /index.html http://sub.domain.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi
</VirtualHost>

since just calling the subdomain alone would automatically call the default
doc.. index.html
just calling the subdomain automatically redirects to the scirpt.. and its
completely instant.
it never shows index.html, since apache never actually serves it.

hope thats of use to someone.

rgds

Frank