Hi guys,

Just a quick one...

my home server has an ADSL connection using PPPOE.. it usually takes ages to
actually get going, but once going it is fine..

Anyway, the problem is, that occasionally the connection is reset by peer
and it again takes ages to restart the connection.

I use this box to monitor the availability of our other servers.. so if one
goes down,  the perl monitor script I knocked up plays a wav file at 100db,
and then sends me and the other admin an email.

It all works fine until the adsl plays up..

now the questions I have are these:

1. How can I get pppoe to log somewhere other then syslog. (pref a pppoe
log.)
2. How can I get a more verbose description of why the connection is taking
so long to happen. (ie is there any way to actually see the handshaking and
whatnot actually happening like you can in normal ppp???)
3. my ADSL ISP supports a dialup line for times when the ADSL is down, is
there a way to set it up so that the dialup happens automatically if the
adsl dies? and then swaps back at a later time?

Any help would be really great, if the last one has no answer in linux, I
guess its time to get creative with perl and write one.
I couldnt' see anything in the pppoe.conf file about logging or verbose
logging... any ideas?

regards

Franki