Hi Luca -

Luca Olivetti wrote:

Since I was having problems with mandrake's standard kernel (since I
installed 9.0 I had a lot of lock ups -- maybe these are the cause of
the filesystem corruption I'm seeing now), I was compiling stock 2.4.19
kernel + xfs patches (all my filesystems are xfs).
Then I saw a strange compilation error: gcc was telling it wasn't
recognizing the format of a .o file it just compiled. I looked at the
file and in effect it was full of null (0) characters (this is a
phenomenon --files full of null-- I experienced before, BTW, but
Tonigh when I go home I'll see if the xfs_restore works or if it will
trash the filesystem.
[snip]

What version of XFS did you download and patch with? 1.1 or 1.2? Also, which versions of the userland stuff(xfsprogs, xfsdump, etc) are you using?

Also, since you're compiling on MDK 9.0 which ships with gcc 3.2 (IIRC), that could be the source of the problem. XFS hasn't really been tested with version of gcc later than 2.95.x, and they recommend using 2.91.x - so that may be the source of the problem.

Anyway, am I the only one having issues with this kernel?
Is a coincidence that these problems started when upgrading to mdk 9.0?
Xfs support is not stable/tested enough?
Should I swicth to ext3?
Thoughts, suggestions

I've been using XFS for almost a year and a half now, and have never had a problem with it on a fairly large number of high-end, high-use machines.. In fact, it's the only FS I'll use anymore on production boxes because of it's stability. Hope that helps a bit, lemme know which versions of the above you are running and we'll get it sorted :)

Dan
http://five2one.org/