Daniel J. Cody wrote:

What version of XFS did you download and patch with? 1.1 or 1.2? Also, which versions of the userland stuff(xfsprogs, xfsdump, etc) are you using?

Also, since you're compiling on MDK 9.0 which ships with gcc 3.2 (IIRC), that could be the source of the problem. XFS hasn't really been tested with version of gcc later than 2.95.x, and they recommend using 2.91.x - so that may be the source of the problem.
No, no, the problem manifested itself compiling the new kernel, but while using the standard mdk9.0 kernel+xfs utilities.
I don't know the compiler used for mdk stock kernel, but looking at the changelog of its spec file I see:

* Thu Aug 1 2002 Juan Quintela <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 1-1mdk
- reorganize for new gcc-3.2 version, now default is always /usr/bin/gcc.

and then

* Wed May 8 2002 Juan Quintela <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 1-1mdk
- fix xfs to compile with gcc-3.1.

Anyway, am I the only one having issues with this kernel?
Is a coincidence that these problems started when upgrading to mdk 9.0?
Xfs support is not stable/tested enough?
Should I swicth to ext3?
Thoughts, suggestions

I've been using XFS for almost a year and a half now, and have never had a problem with it on a fairly large number of high-end, high-use machines.. In fact, it's the only FS I'll use anymore on production
Well, I've been using xfs for almost the same time as you. A production server at work is running fine with xfs (alas with mdk 8.2).
The difference is that the server at work doesn't run X and never crashes and has an UPS, while my home computer have had occasional crashes (with certain revisions of the nvidia driver) with 8.2 and frequent crashes with 9.0.
Maybe the cause of the corruption have been these lock ups (that's the problem I was trying to solve --or reproduce-- by compiling a clean kernel).

boxes because of it's stability. Hope that helps a bit, lemme know which versions of the above you are running and we'll get it sorted :)
Anyway, now I found a way to perform xfs_repair remotely (amazing that when you're desperate and lose your cold blood you forget the simplest things: edited /etc/fstab not to mount /home,), and it went well, with only a couple of files lost and 10 or so with the original content replaced with nulls (but that may have been previuos to this failure).
I'm still worried though.

Bye
--
Luca Olivetti
Note.- This message reached you today, it may not tomorrow if you