Wooky,

   just a hunch here.  But about 2 years ago we had this problem with a
FreeBSD box.  pinging sites worked fine but when we tried to ftp or http
we got broken and hung sites.  Turns out that the proxy set up on it set
the Fragmentation config  to <1500 don't fragment >1500 fragment... now
if you notice there is nothing specified for 1500  So when we reset our
boxes to 1471 (packet + 8bytes of ICMP header + 20 bytes packet data)
pings went through... at 1472 they got popped into the land of
confusion.

Try this ping -s 1472 xxx.com

and see what happens... play around a bit with this to find the range.
But it sounds like to me it's blocking and or dropping large packets but
letting small ones like a normal ping (56 + 8 or 64byte) packets through
just fine.

Normally ping -s 1472 xxx.com works but ping -s 1473 xxx.com gets
dropped... BUT if the forget the equal on 1500 then 1471 is as large as
you can go on the ping.

The other chance is that it's blocking anything over 1500 MTU and as a
result if your box is set with MTU 1500 and there is any overhead added
it could well slow you down. or block you all together. (Do not fragment
might do this)  Reseting MTU size is something I'd have to look up...
like I said it's been two years...

James

--
James Sparenberg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>