Mark Weaver wrote:

> Felix Miata wrote:

> > Mark Weaver wrote:

> >>Is this a Linux to Linux connection that you're attempting to make with
> >>Samba for the purpose of sharing these files?

> > If it was Linux to Linux I'd be using NFS instead of Samba.

> well... the reason I asked was because from your orignal post it
> appeared you were attempting to mount the shares from/with fstab
> entries. If you're attempting to access the shares from a windows
> machine, it's been my experience that all that is needed is that the
> shares be defined, their permissions set, users created, and then the
> connecting machine have a login corresponding in both username and
> password to the samba user on the serving machine. Thats really all
> there is to it.

Were it so simple. I think you missed the problem entirely. These are
the share definitions as represented by /etc/fstab entries:

//z1590/E /mnt/z1590/E smbfs ro,credentials=filename,user 0 0
//z1590/G /mnt/z1590/G smbfs ro,credentials=filename,user 0 0
//z1590/I /mnt/z1590/I smbfs ro,credentials=filename,user 0 0

The first two shares are fully accessible and umountable as expected.
Neither cause the Linux machine to refuse to shut down. In contrast, the
third is both inaccessible, un-umountable, and causes Linux to refuse to
shut down clean. From the Linux perspective, all three are identical.
They all come from the same physical disk on the same machine. There are
only two ways the Linux machine can be shut down clean: 1-shut down the
other machine first; or 2-never attempt to access /mnt/z1590/I or
/mnt/z1590.

I searched Google and Google groups, and found many instances of people
wanting to know what was meant by (and how to fix):

        File 'I' exists but can not be stat-ed: Permission denied

None were answered. The same thing is happening here. If anyone knows
the answer, they aren't telling. Why does I need to be stat-ed? What is
trying to stat I? Why can't I be forced to umount, much less umount
normally? How can this voodoo be so powerful the machine can't be shut
down? Why doesn't the same problem arise from attempting to access
shares E & G from the same machine?
--
"The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom. . . ." Proverbs 8:13
NIV

 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

Felix Miata  ***  http://members.ij.net/mrmazda/