Todd Lyons wrote:

> Felix Miata wrote on Tue, Dec 10, 2002 at 09:03:13PM -0500 :

> > Counting the betas and RC's, I've installed 9.0 more than 10 times. On
> > every one, when boot completes, the cursor on vc1/tty1 is always in the
> > wrong place (col 0, under the first character of hostname), and the last
> > "(  OK  )" from the boot messages is sitting over on the right side of
> > the same line where the cursor is. Why is the login prompt (apparently)
> > displayed before boot is finished?

> That's from the samba init script.  If you look, there's a
>   sleep 60 && killproc -HUP smbd

On mine it is '(sleep 60 && killproc smbd -HUP ) &'

> in the script.  So what's happening is it moves to the end of the line,
> prints the [ OK ], and then moves to the beginning of the line.  It

This explains what is happening. But . . .

> doesn't affect anything.  If you type the username where the cursor is
> at, it will work just fine.

I know I can still login just fine. I usually hit <return> before login
name. That wasn't my point. To me it makes the Mandrake development team
look like slobs, that the most visible part of starting up a system,
displaying a login welcome prompt, is broken.

What I'm really after is how to make it not do that any more, plus to
get Mandrake to fix it before releasing 9.1.
--
"If you are wise, your wisdom will reward you. . . ." Proverbs 9:12 NIV

 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

Felix Miata  ***  http://members.ij.net/mrmazda/