I think I certainly need some more help here.

1.

"You're not actually copying to the xfs filesystem, only to the directory /mnt/backup."

Does this mean that there is some other step to be done after formatting an XFS partition?
What does it mean writeing to a directory "without" copying to a filesystem ?

2.

My /etc/fstab looks this way
/dev/hda5 /mnt/backup xfs defaults 1 2

3.

"The disk is formatted but no filesystem is created. I've not played much with XFS, but on most other filesystems the formatting and creation of the actual filesystem are separate steps."

How would I create a filesystem on the XFS formatted partition?

4.

"Your kernel does not support XFS or the module is not loaded. This would be unusual unless you've modified your kernel."

I did not modify my kernel. I am running MDK 8.2 standard (download edition)

5.

Thanks a lot for your help. Best regards
/stefano