On Friday November 22 2002 01:10 am, Michael Holt wrote:
> Hey all,
>       I just noticed something interesting the other day and can't seem
> to find the answer for it.  I have a thinkpad 600e that I use for
> most of my day to day work and I just started thinking about the
> possibility of upgrading to a faster notebook.  Then I realized, I
> don't even remember what type of cpu I have in THIS notebook.
> Anyhoo, I tried looking at /proc/cpuinfo and found something
> interesting - it reports my processor as a 92MHz pentium 2.  I
> checked my bios and found that it is actually a 366MHz - why the
> difference?  Does it have something to do with being a mobile
> processor?
>
> Thanks, Mike

    Just a guess, I've never had a laptop. I've often read that they use
underclocked cpu's tho. Its appears you've basically got a p2-400 core
which normally runs at 100 FSB x 4.0 multiplier = 400mhz.  So the 92mhz
you're seein appears to be the FSB for a p2-366, ie, 92 x 4 =~366mhz. I
suspect this results in an underclocked PCI bus also, ie, 92/3 = 31mhz
I believe this is this case for most all mobile proccessors.