On Fri, 2002-11-22 at 07:23, Tom Brinkman wrote:
> On Friday November 22 2002 01:10 am, Michael Holt wrote:
> > Hey all,
> >     I just noticed something interesting the other day and can't seem
> > to find the answer for it.  I have a thinkpad 600e that I use for
> > most of my day to day work and I just started thinking about the
> > possibility of upgrading to a faster notebook.  Then I realized, I
> > don't even remember what type of cpu I have in THIS notebook.
> > Anyhoo, I tried looking at /proc/cpuinfo and found something
> > interesting - it reports my processor as a 92MHz pentium 2.  I
> > checked my bios and found that it is actually a 366MHz - why the
> > difference?  Does it have something to do with being a mobile
> > processor?
> >
> > Thanks, Mike
>
>     Just a guess, I've never had a laptop. I've often read that they use
> underclocked cpu's tho. Its appears you've basically got a p2-400 core
> which normally runs at 100 FSB x 4.0 multiplier = 400mhz.  So the 92mhz
> you're seein appears to be the FSB for a p2-366, ie, 92 x 4 =~366mhz. I
> suspect this results in an underclocked PCI bus also, ie, 92/3 = 31mhz
> I believe this is this case for most all mobile proccessors.

For what it's worth, my IBM ThinkPad (model i1500) runs a Celeron @ 366
MHz. Here is what /proc/cpuinfo reveals:
processor       : 0
vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
cpu family      : 6
model           : 6
model name      : Celeron (Mendocino)
stepping        : 10
cpu MHz         : 365.820
cache size      : 128 KB
fdiv_bug        : no
hlt_bug         : no
f00f_bug        : no
coma_bug        : no
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 2
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 sep mtrr pge mca
cmov pat pse36 mmx fxsr
bogomips        : 729.08

Notice that the MHz is correct. But your model 600 is olde rhtan mine,
so Tom may be right about your being underclocked.

--
Dave Sherman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Business Solutions Group, LLC