On Sunday 24 November 2002 12:06 am, Woody Green wrote:
> On the sharing machine, run iptables-save and post the output here.

Hello,

After some fiddling I managed to get things working again, though I only
barely understand what I did.  Below is the output of iptables-save.  There
are a few duplicate entries resulting from my fiddling but so far it is
working.

Day before last I had it working too via an ad-hoc wireless connection but
after several hours of connectivity, it just quit and I could not regain an
adhoc connection even after repeated attempts.  I finally got a new adhoc
regoing but without being able to share the internet connection until after
my long bought of reading and fiddling with iptables (results below).  Any
suggestions or improvements would be greatly appreciated.  At this point, and
as a result of my fiddling, I _think_ all I need to do next time is do:

 iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o ppp0 -j MASQUERADE
 iptables -t nat -I PREROUTING -i eth0

Am I missing something?

[root@Stonekeep praedor]# iptables-save
# Generated by iptables-save v1.2.5 on Sun Nov 24 07:26:34 2002
*filter
:INPUT ACCEPT [29568:5444758]
:FORWARD ACCEPT [6207:1830932]
:OUTPUT ACCEPT [29589:2467901]
COMMIT
# Completed on Sun Nov 24 07:26:34 2002
# Generated by iptables-save v1.2.5 on Sun Nov 24 07:26:34 2002
*nat
:PREROUTING ACCEPT [610:39174]
:POSTROUTING ACCEPT [3504:360904]
:OUTPUT ACCEPT [3898:387546]
- -A PREROUTING -s 192.168.0.2 -i eth0
- -A PREROUTING -i eth0
- -A PREROUTING -s 192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0 -i eth0
- -A PREROUTING -s 192.168.0.0/255.255.255.0
- -A PREROUTING -i eth0
- -A POSTROUTING -s 192.168.0.0/255.255.255.0 -j MASQUERADE
- -A POSTROUTING -o ppp0 -j MASQUERADE
- -A POSTROUTING -o ppp0
- -A POSTROUTING -o ppp0
- -A POSTROUTING -o ppp0 -j MASQUERADE
COMMIT
# Completed on Sun Nov 24 07:26:34 2002

>      Woody
>
> Praedor Atrebates said:
> > I am having problems with a internet connection share.  Oddly, I had it
> > working for a while last evening but then, suddenly, it died and I was
> > unable  to communication computer to computer via wlan (sharing a modem
> > connection on  one of them).
> >
> > Running Mandrake 8.2, I have a usb wlan device on my desktop set as eth0
> > and  IP 192.168.0.1 as well as a modem (ppp0) through which the internet
> >  connection is to be shared.  My laptop has a wlan card set as wlan0 and
> > IP  192.168.0.2.  The wireless connection is ad-hoc and they are
> > communicating  just fine but I am unable to get the laptop to
> > communicate with the internet  via the desktop's modem connection.  In
> > other words, the connection is being  shared.
> >
> > This appears to be a problem with iptables setup.  Can someone help me
> > out  with getting iptables setup (to run NAT) so that my laptop can
> > communicate  with the internet via the desktop modem?
> >
> > praedor

- --
Conservatives of all times are adventitious liars.
- - Friedrich Nietzsche.