From: Tom <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [expert] wierd FS situation
Date: Sun, 24 Nov 2002 17:20:23 -0500

This message is just information only.

I was re-doing the VFAT32 hard drives for a server. I did the usual mke2fs -j
<device> (ext3) and the formatting went fine. I was able to store files and
read them just fine.

Due to an act of stupidity (it was early o'clock), I was forced to reload LM.
After getting the server going again, I went looking for the hard drives
which I had previously re-formatted. They were unreadable. ???? I knew the
formats had been ok, however, no combination of fstab parameters would
restore the drives to usability. Hummm.

After careful troubleshooting, I found that the fdisk partition for the
drives had remained VFAT32. However, the FS was EXT3 (verified by fsck.ext3).
Gee, I did not know that Linux could force a VFAT drive into becoming an EXT3
drive. Interesting, no?!

Anyhow, I fixed the situation by fdisking the drives properly and re-doing
the format & fstab entries. Just wanted to share that tidbit with everyone.