On Sat, Nov 23, 2002 at 08:23:18PM -0500, Matthew O. Persico wrote:
> >> MANPATH=/opt/perl/lib/perl5/man:/usr/lib/perl5/man
> >>
> >> Apparently, unlike Solaris and any other *NIX system I have used,
> >> MANPATH is not additive - it REPLACES all other heuristics for
> >> locating manpages.

Eh? You get exactly the same behaviour under Solaris. man defaults to
looking in <somewhere> (see your documentation for the exact
location). Setting MANPATH overrides this.

> >> Hence, I gained manpages for Perl and lost every
> >> other manpage in the system.

> >> So, I unset MANPATH and did man man and it said to check out
> >> /usr/etc/man.config and man man.conf(5). Well, neither the file nor
> >> the manpage exist on my system.

Mine (Mandrake 9.0) actually says /usr//etc/man.config. Which by
convention tends to me /etc/man.config (stuff// being interpreted as /)

> >> How does one ADD man paths to the lookup heuristics?
> >
> >  MANPATH = $MANPATH:/new/dir/goes/here:/another/new/dir
> >

> This does not work. A default Mandrake install does not initialize
> MANPATH at all. By setting MANPATH, I override all the settings in
> /etc/man.config. Yes, it's weird. No, I've not seen this in any *NIX
> system I've ever worked on. But there it is.

You're using a different version of Solaris from me then (and I've got
2.5, 7 and 8). I've always known it to work like this.

> Now, I could, someplace in /etc/profile.d/foobar.sh do this:
>
> MANPATH=$(manpath)

>From the parameter expansion section of the bash manpage:

MANPATH=${MANPATH:-<default>}:/new/dir/goes/here:/another/new/dir
will do what you want (using <default> if MANPATH isn't set).

So the only problem is how to determine the default. Our Solaris setup
consists of
MANPATH=${MANPATH:-/usr/man}:/usr/local/man

However, the Mandrake 8.2 man comes with the manpath command:
  manpath - determine user's search path for man pages

So you can simplify all this to:
MANPATH=`manpath`:/new/dir/goes/here

--
Tommy