On Sun, Nov 24, 2002 at 08:48:17PM -0500, Matthew O. Persico wrote:
> >Mine (Mandrake 9.0) actually says /usr//etc/man.config. Which by
> >convention tends to me /etc/man.config (stuff// being interpreted as
> >/)
>
> Huh? I type
>
>       ls -lart /usr//etc
>
> and I get zero files, because /usr/etc is empty on my machine. Where
> did you pick up that convention?

Emacs, actually. It's a convention at the application level, not at
the file system. So if the application doesn't support it, it doesn't
support it.

I suspect what's actually happened in this case is that the
configuration has replaced the default location with /etc/man.config
in the binary (so the binary doesn't support the above convention),
but *appended* it in the man page (because the man build script gets
it wrong). However, simply being aware this sort of thing can happen
makes it much easier to read the thing correctly :-)

> >However, the Mandrake 8.2 man comes with the manpath command:
> >manpath - determine user's search path for man pages
> >
> >So you can simplify all this to:
> >MANPATH=`manpath`:/new/dir/goes/here
>
> Yes, I could do that. However, the only reason I am playing with
> MANPATH at all is that I have developed some bash functions to swap
> versions of Perl. I modify PATH to get at the one I want. I was also
> modifying MANPATH. I may just decide to just use perldoc instead. Or
> maybe not. Depends on how much I want to muck around. I have real
> work to do to.

Well, if you want to replace your MANPATH with the default value, and
then append something to it:

unset MANPATH
MANPATH=`manpath`:/new/dir/goes/here

But that'll upset anybody who's modified it from the value you last
set it to.

Much better to:

case :$MANPATH: in
  ::) MANPATH=`manpath`:$NEWPERL/man ;;
  :$OLDPERL/man:) MANPATH=`echo $MANPATH | \
        sed 's/$OLDPERL\/man/$NEWPERL\/man/'` ;;
  *) MANPATH=$MANPATH:$NEWPERL/man ;;
esac

--
Tommy