i845 being intel's latest chipset is part of the problem.  It's causing
problems I'm told with WinXP for some as well.  I do remember some
discussion on the cooker list about the time it got unfrozen (from the
9.0 release.) on this and the discussion may have been taken offlist.
(however with as busy as that list is... they could still be discussing
it and I'd miss it :) )  But there might be something there.. I've also
seen some stuff in the kernel mailing list.  But since I only read what
relates to me now... I didn't pay attention.

James