showmount just showed everything exported to everyone.  I have now
removed the /data export and rebooted everything to see what happens.
After this:

# showmount -e server
Export list for server:
/public             (everyone)
/home/brian         (everyone)
and some more

# showmount -a server
All mount points on server:
192.168.0.253:/data
192.168.0.253:/home/brian
192.168.0.253:/public
and some more

/data still shows up on the -a list (but not on the -e list) after
having been removed from exports and the server (and clients) rebooted.
...and of course if I put it back in exports and attempt to mount it, I
get the same permissions error.

Explicitly adding hostnames or networks in exports makes no difference.

Seems like the /data export has been somehow corrupted in a way which
persists between reboots.  Is there some sort of cache on disk somewhere
that needs to be flushed?

I imagine that if I remounted the /data partition under another mount
point and exported that, everything would work, but that's just avoiding
the problem rather than understanding it, so I'd like to persevere for
the moment.

thanks for the interest!

Brian