Just to finish this one off - never could get that export to mount
again.  In the end I decided that I'd like to change the filesystem it
was using anyway, so copied the data, made the partition again, copied
back and mounted it under a different mount point.  Now it exports just
fine.  Beats me what was wrong.

cheers
Brian