Good news guys. I will send this as a new topic so that it doesn't get missed.
We got sidetracked and got to discussing colortail. It is a simple little
tool for graphically coloring information. It doesn't compile in Mandrake
9.0. It gives errors. I've been in contact with the author and he was very
good at responding and giving us a patch!! Woohoo, it works!!! Here is the
response from him:

I put the patch on sourceforge in the colortail project there. Here's a
direct link to the file:

http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/colortail/colortail-0.3.0-gcc3.patch.gz?download

Now I have one more little dilema! I would LOVE to make this work on Mandrake
security, which I'm currently running on my firewall. I get an error when I
try. I thought I could just take the compiled one and run that, but nooooo...
is there anyone out here that is an expert on the security release?