On Wednesday 04 December 2002 16:02, stefmit wrote:
> On Wednesday 04 December 2002 08:13 am, Steffen Barszus wrote:
> <snip>
>
> > Yes you don't have a contrib-source defined.
> > What I would do on every mandrake-box (for desktop-use) is:
> >
> > adding an update-mirror for security updates.
> > adding contrib-mirror to my sources
> > adding a plf-mirror to my sources
> >
> > in case of a club-membership:
> > adding a mirror for the commercial packages to my sources
> > (flash/realplayer/nvidia-rpms and so on ..)
> > adding a mirror for club-packages
> >
> > Your need for searching and compiling by yourself will decrease a lot.
> > Dying in the abilities of urpmi is worth the try, its the main reason for
> > mandrake in my case.
> >
> > Greets
> >
> > Steffen
>
> Great - thanks for the answer! Do you have any recommended (i.e. proven to
> be reliable) sources for the above?

I use the spanish rediris server for contrib (contrib is mostly 2 dirs up on
mandrake-mirrors, searching a fast for you and look if there is a hdlist.cz
or synthesis.hdlist2.cz), plf gives you an interface for generating
urpmi.addmedia lines. For security updates there was a post yesterday on
club:
http://www.mandrakeclub.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=Splatt_Forum&file=viewtopic&topic=827&forum=11
"...
If you want that to be used as an update source you need to add the update
switch,and a name. As in

'urpmi.addmedia --update Updates
ftp://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/linux/mandrake/updates/9.0/RPMS with ../base/hdlist.cz'
..."

> I got to change the update-mirror a
> couple of times, due to unavailability of specific packages, so I was
> wondering about the rest (contrib and plf).
>
> Thx,
> Stef

unavailable packages mostly appear if your hdlist is outdated. so you should
update it. (for the above example : 'urpmi.update Updates') As I understood
the next urpmi will even get better (just as I read the ML , I could be wrong
!!):

- supporting different mirrors for the same source
- as I understood incremental updates of the hdlists.cz

The hdlist.cz contains all informations of all packages in the source so can
be quite big (some MB for contrib a lot lesser for Updates) The
synthesis.hdlist.cz contains only the available packages (just arround
100-200 kB). For finding files in  e.g. ftp-sources you need the hdlist.cz (
then you can make urpmf file.h and find the file , even if it is not on your
harddisk or on some of your CDs)

--
counter.li.org : #296567.