I use an Olympus C-4000 on MD9.0. I cannot get gphoto2 to work w/ it. I just do "mount -t vfat /dev/sda1 /mnt/camera' whenever I want to access it. I did not have to create /dev/sdxx and did not have to load any usb module. YMMV.

IIRC, Mandrake did claim most usb devices should pop up on your desktop the minute you plug it in. This doesn't happen in my case probably because I don't have a supported usb device or whatever the reason is.
Now, I wish MD developer could really make this to work as SuSE does.

-Larry

flacycads wrote:
Regarding USB digital cameras And Mandrake 9.0, many people are still at a loss as to get this to work. I have a Canon G2, and Mandrake 9, and after reading everything I could find on the net and forums for days- no weeks, I can't get this to work. I had to go back to win98SE to download a few jpgs from the camera. I'm sure I'm missing something simple, and obvious to the experts.

Basically, I've opened the KDE control center-peripherals-digital camera, and gphoto2. I get things like "Could not claim the usb device," "could not intialize camera," "Bad parameters,", and "could not list folders in /"
1. How do you create /dev/sdx correctly? We need the exact commands.
2. What are the exact commands to load the usb modules, since they don't appear to be compiled into the kernel? Should I recompile the kernel with USB items as "Y", and not as "M"- modules?
3. What is the exact command to correctly create the directory under /mnt? As user, or root? Or, does it matter?
Everything I've read gives different and seemingly contradictory instructions, and assumes you already know what they are talking about. Can an expert please give exact 1,2,3, final and complete definitive instructions to make a usb camera work with a generic Mandrake 9.0 Install? I know it should be easy, but I'm at my witt's end. Newbies, or even those with some experience need precise and simple command instructions, and then they can understand what works, and why, by successful examples, rather than ambiguous references to incomphrehensible procedures they don't yet understand. The best way to help newbies is to give them the exact precise commands to successfully solve basic problems, and worry about the actual understanding later.
Many thanks,
wrc1944