On my computer mandrake 9 recognized the usb mouse on install but not the
pointer.  When I ran harddrake2 after it picked up the pointer as well.

On earlier versions of mandrake I had to add the lines in manually.  Be
careful using any of the mandrake configuration utilities on pre 9.0
versions.  For me they would rewrite the entire XF86config-4 file and I would
lose my usb mouse.  Man 9 doesn't seem to have this problem.