If you take the line from /etc/passwd

james:x:502:501:james:/home/james:/bin/bash

and change it to

james:x:0:0:james:/home/james:/bin/bash

The above is a hack for existing users better way is

adduser -o -u 0 newuser -p password -g root

and create a new user.

That user is now equal to root.  and yes I can see the advantage to this
... you know who is compromised, who screwed up what etc. Login files
are good for this.  I've created a second "root" user for years... My
people su to a second root user and never know the true root password..
Then I know who was working as root and when, and I know when someone
does su to root (can't log in directly as root.) I've been hacked and
big bells go off so to speak.  It's an old Unix thing, came over to
Linux with me.  (Not a windows thing.... I barely know how to operate
that OS.*grin*)

James