John McQuillen wrote:

Yeah, but under your plan, your admins won't even have an unprivileged
account to experiment with even if they wanted or needed to. The first
thing most n00bs are taught about *nix, is 'DON'T LOG ON AS ROOT', and
you're considering worse than this, you're considering logging on as a
user, with root privs.

The only reason I even suggested making all the root passwords the same
was that you were worried that your admins wouldn't be able to remember
a different password for each one. IMO this would be better at least
than just giving root privileges to your admins user accounts.

Don't tell me to brush up on my security. You are the one who seems
intent on allowing your admins to log in to your systems with root
privileges.

And by the way, I don't work day to day with linux, but I do work in a
large network operations centre and I have loads of admin passwords for
routers and switches to remember. If I can't remember the password, I
can't get on.

If you insist on giving root to your admins user accounts, go ahead.

And also by the way, you'd be asking for trouble. Don't say I didn't
tell you so.

John...

Hey John,

How do you really feel about this?