On Sunday 15 December 2002 7:34 pm, you wrote:
> On Sunday 15 December 2002 03:47 pm, s wrote:
> > double check your Config-4 file that it has nvidia as the driver
> > under device section and Load "GLX" under module section.  Then:
> > modprobe nvidia  (the driver has changed from NVdriver to
> > nvidia).  And try to startx.  If it works, put:  /sbin/modprobe
> > nvidia  in your /etc/rc.d/rc.modules files.  If X doesn't start,
> > shoot us your errors from console and XFree86.0.log.  hth, -s
>
> Hello:
> This is what is confusing me. I have done recommended install from
> the Mandrake DVD. This installed the NVIDIA drivers for 1.0-3123.1
> mdk from the DVD. In my etc/modules it loads the NVdriver, in
> etc/X11/XF86Config-4 under module is Load
> "usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extension/libglx.so" in the Device section
> is Driver "nvidia". When I boot I see the NVIDIA start logo. just
> before getting to the KDE desktop. Yet when I install the latest
> NVIDIA rpms for 1.4191 for the Mandrake 9.0 it crashes with nvidia
> driver not found .
>
> What I do not understand is if etc/modules should say nvidia  and
> not NVdriver

with the .4191 version the /etc/modules.conf file should say:
alias /dev/nvidia* nvidia

> and the XF86Config-4 Module should say Load "GLX" and
> it points to the libglx.so file why does it appear to work and yet
> not work when the new rpms are installed.

umm, not real sure what you're saying, but yeah, I'd put Load "glx" in
the /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 file.  Actually, this is what my section
looks like:

Section "Module"
    Load "dbe" # Double-Buffering Extension
    Load "v4l" # Video for Linux
    Load "extmod"
    Load "type1"
    Load "freetype"
    Load "glx" # 3D layer
EndSection

> Should I change the
> XF86CONFIG-4 Module section and the etc/module file to nvidia?

yes.  :)

Section "Device"
    Identifier "device1"
    BoardName "NVIDIA GeForce4 (generic)"
    Driver "nvidia"
    Option "DPMS"
EndSection

I mentioned putting /sbin/modprobe nvidia in your /etc/rc.d/rc.modules
file cause seems like /etc/modules.conf gets read too soon or too
late or something.  Mine seems to not load the module.  But you could
just put nvidia in your /etc/modules file instead of rc.modules...
either will work.  As long as you get that module loaded before
trying to startx.  I like to have all three elements present:
correct entries in XF86Config-4, device & modules in
/etc/modules.conf and some place that loads it (rc.modules. or
/etc/modules).

> Confused.

Well, I hope I haven't just confused you more.  teehee