On Tuesday 17 December 2002 09:18 pm, Joseph Braddock wrote:
> On Mon, 2002-12-16 at 19:43, Lorne wrote:
> > On Monday 16 December 2002 03:34 pm, Joe Braddock wrote:
> > > Is it possible that the size is too large for your bios?  Most of the
> > > large WD drives come with floppy to install ez-bios or something like
> > > that on the drive to overwrite the system's drive table.  Problem is,
> > > if you're booting from CD-ROM, the system never get's the chance to
> > > read the new drive table from the hard drive.  If you think that may be
> > > the problem, the solution I've used is to first boot from the hard
> > > drive and once the new drive table loads, reboot (without powering off)
> > > and put the CD in.  The system usually doesn't clear out the new drive
> > > table.
> > >
> > > Joeb
> >
> > No, I don't think so. It is a brand new motherboard. however... it DID
> > come with a special ide controller card. Seems that WD drives are junk
> > based on another thread. :(
>
> Do you know the make of the special IDE controller card?  Also, besides the
> card is there an on-board IDE?  If you are using the card, is the on-board
> IDE disabled? Finally, if you are using the card, what happens if you
> remove it and use the on-board ide (or vice versa if you are using the
> on-board)?

It is a promise card. PCI. There is two on board controllers. A regular 2
channel, and a raid ide controller. So now I'm out of control with IDE! :) I
do NOT have the on board controller disabled, but I could pretty easily eh?
The raid controller doesn't even recognize it. I didn't even try the other
raid controller. My guess is that I need to update the bios on this mb. After
all it is getting pretty old. I've had it 4 months. ;)