On Wed, 2002-12-18 at 11:47, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> On Wed, 18 Dec 2002, Ken Hawkins wrote:
>
> > Or some places just have STUPID architects.
> >
> > Our College had a new satellite campus built in a small town. The architect
> > claimed to be an expert on designing for communications equipment and
> > computer labs. When we went to set up all the servers and computers, we found
> > a server room no bigger than a broom closet, with a WATER/air cooling system
> > mounted ABOVE the cabinet built for the servers and hubs. There was not even
> > a drip tray in case of dribble leakage, let alone protection from a serious
> > blowout. The servers ended up occupying an empty nook next to someone's desk,
> > and the "server room" is an air-conditioned mop-closet.
> >
> > And this jack-ass still gets PAID to design buildings!
> >
> At my last company, the main server room -- housing multiple Sun E250s, a
> couple E450s, a 6500, dozens of rack mounts -- had a huge glass window
> on the outside wall. Maybe the same architect designed ours too. Nothing
> like a huge glass window (not impact proof) in a place that gets at
> least a few tropical storms and a couple major hurricanes every few
> years. Not to mention the problem of having your entire data center
> visible from passers-by.
>
> ----

I've seen probably a hundred server rooms and data centers all over the
U.S. and Canada and most have got at least some level of problem... but
my favorite is the place that was in a basement room separated by some
drywall from another basement room where an environmental testing
company was testing water samples and cleaning equipment. The
predictable of course happened...

Actually, my favorite favorite was the company that bought 32 fully
loaded Catalyst 6509s for their new four-building campus and had us rack
them before construction was completed on the buildings. They powered 16
of the switches up for burn-in over a weekend, sucking something like
ten pounds of sheetrock dust through each. Within six weeks, every one
of those switches had failed in some fashion or another, and all that we
or Cisco could say is "we told you not to power them on until the
buildings were clean." Seems the contractor had told them that the telco
rooms had separate HVAC systems, which would mean something if they
weren't pulling air in from a construction site.

--
Jack Coates
Monkeynoodle: A Scientific Venture...