Mark,
This is simplistic, but do other cdroms work in that machine? If so, the first
thing I would check is for finger smudges or scratches on your cdrom disk.
I've had installs stop, and rejection of cd-2 or cd-3 when asked for them. I
couldn't figure it out, until I cleaned off the cdrom of small finger
smudges. Then all went perfectly. It's amazing how a little smudge can
prevent the thing from being read at a certain point, and this seems to abort
the installs. Of course, this might not be your problem, but certainly worth
a look.

Robert Crawford