I once burned a Mandrake distro at 14X and later discovered that the media was only rated for 8X. Pushy bastard that I am, I reburned it at 10X and it came out fine. ;-)

Anyway the install problems with the improperly burned CDs were similar to those described. So, ya, could be bad CDs.

Mark Weaver wrote:
Hi List,

I've got a good one. The machine is a Dell Optiplex GX100/Cel566Mhz/128MB SDRAM - (2) IDE HDD. I've had Mandrake installed on this machine before, but due to some mother board troubles I had to have the board replaced. Since placing the new mobo into the machine though I've not been able to get Mandrake installed. It boots fine from the CDROM and from a boot disk, but just as it announces it's booting the kernel from the CDROM to begin the installation is just stops displaying the kernel that it's booting.

This really has be perplexed! I've never seen this sort of behavior before in any machine I've ever installed on. Anyone have any ideas as to what it might be?

As far as the BIOS settings go all looks completely normal. I'm REALLY stumped on this one.

Thanks,

Mark