Sometime in November, i think, doing a mandrakeupdate, i remember it said
that it had updated my kernel on LM8.1 to kernel-2.4.8-43.lmdk.

I've had to reboot, first time since i turned the machine on way back last
year.

I got a lilo warning about bios memory being too big.
Hi Ken,

Probably the easiest way to fix this problem would be to boot the install CD for 8.1, do the regular install as you did originally, deselect all packages except the kernel packages, unselect any partitions that it says it wants to format and then go through with the rest of the install.

you will likely have to define the partitions, but this only amounts to naming them as you did the first time. remember, you're not going to format the partitions, only define them for the installer.

this should clear up your problem. Only remember *never* update the kernel through the update utility. doing so will always result in a good hosing for your system. Its always better to update kernels by downloading the packages and then installing them the old fashioned way. running the rpm install from a terminal window.

Mark