On Sat, 2002-12-21 at 15:40, flacycads wrote:
> I too liked 8.2 rpmdrake better. It alsways worked perfectly. I could live
> with the new format, except that it now takes up to 5 minutes for each
> operation (same hardware as I had with 8.2),  if I'm lucky enough to get
> through installing without it locking up. I also miss being able to see
> what's in each package. I vote for the previous version, unless the
> incredibly slow performance and lockups are fixed. Any advice out there about
> the performance? It seems like Mandrake is searching for something on my cd
> burner. This didn't happen with a regular cdrom drive.
>
> Robert Crawford

Disk space is cheap compared to my time -- first thing I do with any OS
(unless setting up a secured single-purpose system) is copy the install
media to hard drive and reconfigure it to look locally for stuff it
wants. That way I don't have to futz with CDs past the install phase.
--
Jack Coates
Monkeynoodle: A Scientific Venture...