On Sat, 04 Jan 2003 11:09:33 -0800, Jim C wrote:
>Actually it sounded to me like he was referering to dynamic DNS
>which the dhcpd server *can* do.  T'aint easy though. ;-)
>
>>That's just it -- there isn't any interaction unless something else
>>adds it. This is the case for NetBIOS as well, it is a
>>naming/browsing system which works in isolation from DHCP. It would
>>behave the same if you manually assigned addresses or ran an auto-
>>negotiating protocol like IPX or AppleTalk.
>>
>>There are solutions to put DHCP assignments into DNS, ranging from
>>simple bash scripts to full-on products; back in the mid-90s a firm
>>called American Internet Company sold a product called DNS
>>Registrar which did this and integrated with an NT Domain or LDAP
>>user directory too. Cisco bought them and I believe the product has
>>the same name.
>>It's expensive.
>>
>>If you really care, the best solution is to edit DHCP's config and
>>tell it to always assign the same IP to a given MAC address; then
>>you put that IP into DNS and call it a day.

Stepping back and taking a deep breath:

I have four machines, a router and a print server that need addresses. I 99.9999%
never add another machine to the network.

I turned off DHCP and dropped a seven line (six IPs + 127.0.0.0 localhost) on each
machine.

Ballgame over. Yankees win. Thuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuh Yankees win.

Thanks for everyone's help and suggestions.

--
Matthew O. Persico