"Matthew O. Persico" wrote:

> I've read the DNS Howto and I've installed the bind and caching server RPMS.
>
> What I do not understand is how DNS works with DHCP? In short, I have a DHCP server
>running on an Linksys Router. My XP boxes all figure out what their names are over
>netbios and the Linux box is running smbd and nmbd so it broadcasts its name to the
>XP boxes.
>
> However, for the Linux box to be able to get to the XP boxes by name, the local DNS
>server has to somehow ask the DHCP server what's going on, yes?
>
> Does anyone have a pointer to a doc that explains that interaction?

http://www.isc.org

I'd suggest starting with these folks. Dynamic DNS sounds like what
you're looking for. I guess it took me a couple of hours to figure it
out the first time but it really isn't all that complicated. Also, it
isn't so much that DNS works with DHCP but rather, DHCP can be set up to
update DNS so long as DNS is set up to receive updates from DHCP. There
are rules set up for allowing your DHCP daemon to update the DNS server
with each IP address it leases (and removing those entries when they
expire). It's all pretty slick and works very well. I have set it up on
probably a dozen systems now. If you used the ISC Bind (you probably do)
and DHCP (you don't) packages I could probably set you with some
template files I always use - makes it so I don't have to memorize
everything. Maybe this would make a good addition to a howto
somewhere...

The fly I see in this ointment is in regard to the fact that your
linksys router is doing DHCP on your network. You'd have to determine
whether the linksys can be configured to do the updates. If it can't,
you're pretty much stuck unless you're willing to take the DHCP services
off the linksys and put them elsewhere (like on the same box that runs
DNS).

For more info you can also look at some man pages - best info of these
two is in ISC's dhcpd.conf man page.

man named.conf (requires the named (Bind) packages) look for
allow-update

man dhcpd.conf (requires ISC dhcpd package) whole section on dynamic dns

Hope this helps.

--
Mike Rambo
[EMAIL PROTECTED]