Phil wrote:

Hello All,

While demonstrating the merits of Linux to an acquaintance I was asked to burn an mp3 file to a CD in audio format. This is where my troubles started.

Xcdroast apparently will only accept wave files, and Gnome Toaster would only burn the mp3 file as a data file no matter what setting I tried.

I tried mpg123 to convert the mp3 file to a wave file but that failed also.
mpg123 -w mp3file wavefile does nothing except display the help screen.
mpg123 --wav mp3file wavefile at least does something if only to create an empty file named wavefile.

This has been an exercise in frustration compounded by the fact that I was able the create an audio CD under MS Windows using Nero in a couple of minutes and I have never used Nero before!

I use cdrecord to create back-ups but I have never had a need to create an audio CD. How do I do this? Past messages suggest the Gnome Toaster is the answer. Maybe the version supplied with Mandrake 9 is not working correctly?

I would read the CD-Writing-HOWTO-3.html before setting up a session to demo linux cdrecord.
The section 3.2 Writing audio CD's has the full procedures for writing audio cd's including the syntax for converting mp3's and writing the audio cd's. Something like:

To create a CD-R from a whole bunch of MP3-files, you can use the following command sequence:

for I in *.mp3
do
mpg123 --cdr - "$I" | cdrecord -audio -pad -nofix -
done
cdrecord -fix

Depending on the speed of your machine, you may want to slow down writing to "speed=1" (cdrecord option). If you use "speed=4", your machine must be able to play the MP3-file at quadruple speed. mpg123 consumes much CPU-time! If you are in doubt, try an empty run with -dummy (keeps the laser switched off).

Larry